I use a mandolin to get these all cut about the same size, I am a nerd and scrape the zucchini with a fork for the little ridges, I am on the hunt for a mandolin with the blade that makes the ridges, like for chips. Anyone know where to buy one online? I put the zucchini on ice over night, my grandmother taught me this trick to keep a bit of crunch with the pickle. But truly for this pickle I don't think it matters.
I went out to the garden and pulled some Dill out. Dill is one of those herbs that I use a lot of. I always have a vase filled with Dill, it gives the house an unexpected smell that folks always ask what is that scent.
This batch is Sweet and Hot. I don't do sweet so it is a must to have a bit of heat.
Nothing says the beginning of summer or is it the middle like the garden exploding with zucchini and yellow squash. We grill it, bake it and jar it. It is a simple delightful snack when I am at the computer working. These pickles remind me of being at my grandmothers. Not the heat of them just the sweetness. I love experimenting with different levels of heat and sweet. I place a plastic baggie over the top then fill a small juice glass with water and place on top. The Zucchini is then submerged under the brine mixture. I then let it sit outside for 24 hours, then into the refrigerator.
Sweet and Hot Refrigerator Zucchini Pickles
- One Onion
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Pickling Salt
- 4 Cups Vinegar
- Couple Large heads Fresh Dill
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard Seed
- Crushed Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes according to your taste buds.
This recipe is for one of my large pickle jars. This could work for about four quart jars. The water is to add any additional liquid to keep the pickles under the brine.
- On the stove top combine the Vinegar, Salt and Sugar until it dissolves and let cool
- Slice your Zucchini thin with the use of a mandolin
- Slice the onion
- Peel the garlic and start layering
- Add the spices
- Fill the jar to the top leaving a bit of room because your going to place a jar on top to weigh the Zucchini Down.
- Place a plastic bag over the top to keep the flyer buys from landing
- Place a jar inside the mouth opening to weigh the zucchini down
- Sit on counter-top or outside for a day then refrigerate.